Well... not really a "problem".... more than a problem: It just wasn't working. I won't repeat all the steps I took to try to find a solution, but you can read about them here: Problem connecting Meade LX200 to a computer
Since the last post, I received the Keyspan USB serial adapter. It works fine on my old computer running Windows XP. But the new adapter doesn't help my problem with my Windows 7 Professional notebook. Three adapters (Keyspan, Meade, Gigaware); no success.
So far I have eliminated the following possible culprits: bad RS232 port on the telescope; bad RS232 cable, bad or incorrectly wired RS232/Serial adapter; and bad USB serial adapter. I doubt my windows 7 notebook has a bad USB port (I tried all three).
That leaves just one possible reason for the problem: Windows 7 Professional does not like something, whether it is the cables, adapters, or telescope.
Here's my line-up:
- Option 1: One side of the Keyspan USB Serial adapter plugs into Windows XP computer serial port, the other side plugs into a SoftwareBisque Serial/Rs232 adapter, and an RS232 cable runs from there to the Meade LX200.
- Option 2: And, since my XP computer has a serial port (my notebook doesn't), I can eliminate the Keyspan adapter completely, and just plug the SoftwareBisque Serial/RS232 adapter into my XP serial port.
Well, at least I can connect to my telescope using my old XP laptop for as long as it holds up. Not a great solution. but better than nothing.
I'd like to hear if others have run into the same problem. And I'd really like to hear from anyone who has figured out a solution for a Windows 7 Professional computer.